Protesters block roads on third night of unrest as Scott family says police videos of shooting sparks more questions than answers
Protesters and police in Charlotte confronted each other for a third evening, on Thursday night, in a roaming demonstration as the family of police shooting victim Keith Scott said it still had more questions than answers after privately viewing footage of his killing.
Police used tear gas to disperse a crowd of hundreds on the John Belk freeway, where they had blocked traffic. The clash led the mayor, Jennifer Roberts, to declare a midnight curfew a step she had declined to take earlier in the day.
As the evening began, a small crowd of people nothing like the crowds of Wednesday night gathered in Charlottes Uptown neighborhood. Their main rallying cry was release the tapes, a reference to police video of Scotts death on Tuesday, shot by officers in the parking lot of the apartment complex where he lived on the east side of town.
Meanwhile, Scotts family was shown in private two police body camera videos of the officer shooting him dead.
Justin Bamberg, an attorney for the family, said in the statement: While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time.
It is impossible to discern from the videos what, if anything, Mr Scott is holding in his hands, the statement said, adding that Scotts hands were by his sides and he was slowly walking backward.
The post Charlotte protests: curfew imposed as Scott family view footage of killing appeared first on Family Questions Information Answers.